Monday, January 31, 2011

The Coupon Queen

So, this Saturday, I dared to take all three of my children to see my grandparents – their great-grandparents.  (And they truly live up to that title!)  This was the first solo trip back to the grandparents since Thanksgiving.  (Eli wandered off and we found him on the edge of the pond!!!  His guardian angel worked overtime that day!)

My aunt and uncle stopped by.  I’ve always thought of them as super-wise with money and most everything else.  (Except my aunt’s love of artichokes and mayonnaise…ugh.)  She produced a receipt nearly as tall as I was where she had saved over $100 using coupons!!!

Now I’ve saved some money over the years with coupons, but not hundreds.  My aunt is what I would call, A Coupon Queen.  She does this on a regular basis.  If you ever seen one of those specials on TV where they walk out with baskets of groceries for $2.34 – that’s her. 

Now, I don’t need a pantry full of deodorant or dryer sheets.  But she’s inspiring.  Over the last two weeks, I’ve done what she told me and probably already saved $150 on stuff we use and need.  I’m shocked. 

On day one, I promised I’d be honest so here’s my honesty.  Our grocery budget for a month is $500.  Some of you may be shocked at how high and some how low.  Remember there are five of us with two in diapers and one on special care, super expensive baby formula.  I’ve stretched that budget so ridiculously far in the weeks since I’ve followed in the Coupon Queen’s steps. 

I had never taken the time to clip out most all the coupons and match them up with sale papers.  (I still skip the coupons for the joint replacement supplements and elastic waist band jeans.)  

But I was shocked at how much stuff you can get free or less than .50 cents just by using the right coupons in the right places.  I had always considered myself pretty smart with coupons, but I have to say, I’m almost embarrassed at the money I’ve left on the table by not couponing. 

There are a million websites to teach you the tricks of the trades, coupon databases, and even sites that match up the deals with the coupons for you. 

It takes a little time to clip the coupons, but an office supply freak like me, of course, has a paper cutter so it takes less time. 

Let this be a lesson to all of us.  Me, included.

Coupons equal more money in my pocket, and double the money, if I am shopping in the right places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment