Thursday, January 20, 2011

Debt Free Livin’ in 2011!

After a lot of pushing and prodding, my sister has convinced me to start a blog.  She tried this once before and I think I may have updated it twice.  But this time, I'm going to try blogging about something I'm very passionate about...money.



Doesn't that sound horrible?  I'm passionate about money - but, yes, I am.  Since I was a child, I've loved forms, numbers, and office supplies.  In college, I fell in love with taxes.
In my tiny circle of life, I’m kinda known as the money gal.  Most of you know that I work with taxes for a living and I see such a wide spectrum of personal finance situations.  It’s really given me the desire to share my experience and the (little) knowledge I have.  I love personal, small business, and church finance. 

I’m a big fan of Dave Ramsey and worked through his Financial Peace University. 


It’s the debt free plan that we used, but by no means is it the only plan.  It is what I would recommend to people who don’t know where to start.  But whatever method you use to get out of debt – whether the snowball, blizzard, avalanche...getting out of debt is the first step to any kind of financial freedom.

I refused to start any kind of blog, Facebook group, or website till we actually completed our debt-free journey.  We completed that on 1/14/11.  Before I posted that on Facebook, I had no idea how many people in my tiny circle were walking down the same road. 

There is strength in numbers.  I want to use this blog and the corresponding Facebook group as sort of a support group for those of us on our way out of debt (or trying to stay out of debt.)  You can get the same thing at various websites, but I’m not good with strangers.  J 

So feel free to join if you agree to the following:

1.                  I am a Christian and try to go at things from the believer’s perspective – another reason I am a Dave Ramsey fan.   I believe God knows your name.  He wants to hear about your life and wants you to ask for His help – even with your checkbook. 
2.                  You can be vocal or quiet.  You can share everything, nothing or just some things.
3.                  Financial problems can be extremely embarrassing.  (Just like weight loss.)  I’ll be the first to raise my hand to admit I’ve done some dumb things with money.  There will be no judgment.
4.                  I will not gossip about anything told to me in confidence.  Please respect each other’s privacy. 
5.                  I’ll be honest about the challenges and pit falls we faced – be prepared. 
6.                  You can use this group for support, accountability, or just a laugh. 
7.                  I don’t guarantee that anything I say is original.  Really – money has been around since Moses and so has debt.  But I’ll give credit where credit is due. 
8.                  Most importantly, if it’s something serious, you should always seek the advice of a CPA or lawyer. 

So sign on the dotted line with your social security number….just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment