Thursday, February 24, 2011

Financial Disaster Preparedness

Every year at work, we get an emergency plan. 

Where to go in case of fire, how to handle a bomb threat, where to go for a hurricane, etc.  I usually just file it away and pray I miss the fire drill.

But one of my recent obsessions has been disaster preparedness.  (Thank you, Glenn Beck.)


My family sat down and talked about where we would go, what we would bring, how we would survive if disaster struck.  And thanks to my aunt’s coupon tips, I’ve been able to start a small stockpile with using my same grocery budget as I’ve always had.  (Coupons are amazing!  I’m kicking myself for not using them forever!!!)

In addition to my small stockpile of necessities, I’m also working on making a financial disaster preparedness kit.  Something I can just grab & go if I have 5 minutes to get everything & get out.  (Or if you are stuck at a hospital, something you can get someone else to bring you.)

Here is the list I have developed:
·        A copy of our will (Note to self to update it and add my 3rd child - whoops!)
·        List of all bank accounts
·        Most recent loan statements – mortgage, auto, student, etc…
·        List of all credit/debit cards with account & phone numbers
·        A medical power of attorney for my husband and I.
·        A copy of every family member’s social security card & birth certificates
·        CASH!!!  And a checkbook!
·        Extra keys
·        Copies of all insurance policies – or at least a list of the policies, number, value, agent, etc…
·        A list of medications, prescriptions
·        A list of emergency contacts such as family and bosses’ names & phone numbers.
·        A list of every bill with approximate amount due, due date, account numbers and payment addresses

My box is slowly taking shape.  If you can think of more, I would love some suggestions on things to add. 

No comments:

Post a Comment