Thursday, March 10, 2011

Where Does It All Go?

Some months, I look through our spending and think, “Man, we did good!” 

Other months, I think, “What happened?”

Every month, I have the best of intentions. 

Then I get out of bed.

2 plane tickets to San Diego – NOT IN THE BUDGET – suddenly have become part of our budget – and fast.

$150 in medicine for a dog that can barely walk that neither of us have to heart to put down – NOT IN THE BUDGET

A new cookbook that I just have to have – NOT IN THE BUDGET

5 doctor visits in 3 weeks – all with co-pays and prescriptions.  Do I need to even say it?

Money just seems to sprout wings and fly out of my wallet some times. 

So I wondered if I could not spend for two weeks.  

(Other than necessities – like gas to get to work to earn the money!)

My answer – BIG FAT NO!

My better half and the oldest little tike went to San Diego this week.  (Reference above.)  So I decided I would skip buying groceries.  That would be $250 back in my pocket.  I have not done any grocery shopping – at all – and only have $80 bucks left!  How does that happen?

$10 bucks for ear phones for the plane ride
$15 bucks in children’s fever reducers, pain killers, ear plugs
$20 bucks for cash for trip
$85 co-pays
$30 prescriptions
$10 – I actually have no clue

So much for my theory of not buying groceries will save money. 

I’m not much richer – just hungry.

Note to self:  Start a line item in the budget labeled “Everything else that could possibly happen in life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment