Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Me vs. The Machine

If you follow me (me, not DDA) on Facebook, you've been enduring my latest rants against my computer.

I have had the same work laptop for three years.  Every morning, as I walk into my office, I walk on a bridge that goes over four (or six?) railway lines.  I've really wanted to *accidentally* drop this computer off the bridge the last few months and let Norfolk Southern smash it to bits.
 
Now, you need to understand, in the real world, a three year old laptop would be outdated, but still fairly functional.

Not government laptops.

We buy outdated laptops and then uninstall any program created in the last 15 years.

Seriously, we should just carry these...

Credit
Our computers are about as efficient.

The warranty on my laptop ran out last week. 

Ironic.

I'm fairly computer literate, so last Tuesday when my wireless capability all of the sudden was disabled, I thought, "No big deal.  I got this."  And after three hours on the phone with an IT guy (and I call him that loosely) who "fixed" my computer...I got this:


Dun...dun..dun...  THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Then Wednesday, in the middle of critical tax law research (fun! fun!) my cd/dvd rom drive decides it's not going to work...at all.  It wouldn't even read a Jason Aldean cd.   Tragic, I know.

So, after another phone call to IT, they overnight me a replacement cd/dvd drive...but no tools with which to actually replace the drive.  So after my feeble attempts with a steak knife, glasses screwdriver, and surgical scissors (don't ask), on Friday, I end up spending an hour in the office of one the best computer geeks I know just to perform what should be a fairly routine procedure.  And it ends up like this...

Credit
 (Ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but still, it was in more pieces than it should be.) 

And today, after spending another two hours on the phone with IT, and finally getting all of my computer issues resolved, I was informed I was getting a replacement computer

Yes, this is an actual picture of my actual computer in my actual trashcan.
You think that information would've been relevant LAST WEEK!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment