Friday, August 26, 2011

One Classy Lady

We've talked about the importance of family...

We've talked about the importance of giving...

We've talked about the importance of loving..

Much of what I believe in how people should live and be treated has been ingrained in me since birth by my mother, grandmother, aunts, and leading ladies in my life.

One of those Leading Ladies was a woman named Wowo.

She wasn't my grandmother.  She was actually my cousin's grandmother.  But yet she always treated me like a granddaughter.  She had the biggest heart I know. 

When I was a small child, she would hide sticker sheets in her Bible and give them to me on Sunday nights after church.

When I was a teenager, I sat with her and her daughter Cathy almost every church service.  On the rare occassion I brought a boy to church, she'd even look the other way when we held hands. 

When I was a poor, broke newlywed, she'd invite me to Sunday lunch with her family and pick up the tab.

She was the first to welcome a vistor and loved practical jokes.

Wowo appreciated coordinated shoes & bags; and understood that a shopping trip, meant you need to go out of town to a really good mall.

On a church workday, she was the first to show up AND have a plan on how to get it all done. 

She would tell you "how it was" but with a smile on her face so you never felt dressed down.

She truly was the epitome of grace and class.  What every woman should strive to be when they grow up

Wowo graced Heaven's gates last night.  She will be sorely missed.  I've spent a better part of this evening looking through photos, crying, remembering, laughing...and editing this post furiously to attempt to do her justice.  It's almost midnight and I'm still not sure I've been able to convey what an amazing woman Wowo was. 


We love you, Wowo, and will miss you dearly!  I'm sure you're already organizing the robe closets in Heaven!  You leave behind some really big *coordinated* shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment