Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Those Pesky Bank Fees

My feathers are ruffled.

I know.  You're suprised.  I can tell by the look on your face.

I'm pretty ticked off at the moment.

At the bank!
Credit
See, apparently banks made billions upon billions in overdraft fees last year. 

And some of those fees, came from me.  (Remember the red dress saga?)

Consumers eventually grew weary of the banks' schemes when it came to making the most out of an overdraft.  (Such as structuring transactions from largest to smallest and holding deposits longer than debits.)

Congress finally stepped in and reined in the bank's pyramid scheme, fee-ala-palooza. 

(So not technically a pyramid scheme, but you get the metaphor.)

Banks whined about losing billions of dollars.

If you know anything about banks, you know that while they'll play poker with your money and lead this country headfirst into economic equivalent of the Rotovirus, they don't want anyone messing with their money.

They're not going to lose out on their profits.  So they jacked up their processing fees.

Every time you swipe your credit and/or debit card, the banks charge the store XX amount.  It's why most Mom & Pop gas stations require you to buy $5 worth before you can use your card.  Otherwise, they'd actually be losing money to sell you that product. 

After screams of torture from these very same Mom & Pop stores, Congress once again stepped in and put a stop to the bank's free-for-all.

And banks began to whine again.

(Again - I go back to these are the very same institutions that put our country in the mess we are in...yet we're supposed to ensure that their billions are secure...while we're seeing 40% drops in our investment accounts...  That and a couple of elected officials that have the business sense of asphalt!  Cough.  Cough.)

So now (Yes, it's taken me this long to get to the point.) banks have come up with another ingenius fee.

The debit card fee

$5 per month for every customer who uses their debit card.

My bank is said to be considering this.  When they do, I'm out.  100%.

Ok...so let me get this straight. 

You gamble away OUR money on high-risk loans given to people who should have NEVER had a mortgage in the first place.

Then, you push this country the edge of economic collapse when this all unravels.

Then, you nickel & dime your consumers.

Then, you nickel & dime your customers.

And now, you want the people who allow you to use their money to pay you to use their money?

My head hurts from this nonsense.  It's the most bass-ackward thing I've ever heard of.

And it ticks me off.

I know banks have to make a profit.  I get that.

FYI - banks, in the words of Dakota Fanning in Uptown Girls

"You're working fer me."

(Fierce reference, I know.  Banks are shaking in their boots.)

No comments:

Post a Comment