Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games

So, last July, my sister began harassing our entire family to read these books called "The Hunger Games."

credit

I refused. 
Just like I had refused to read anything with Harry or Potter in the title.
Just like I had refused to read anything about a vampire and a werewolf.
It's not that I don't like reading.  I love to read.  LOVE it. 
Where else can you be a Scottish maid that's been kidnapped by the Laird?
Or a London debutante getting ready for her first season?
Or a pioneer who marries her arch enemy just to go west?
I love to read.
I just don't have time to read.  Really.  I know it's lame but it's the truth. 
But the last book I read was "Baby Wise" about 5 years ago.
Regardless, last week when my entire family purchased their midnight tickets to the premiere of "The Hunger Games," I threw $10 in the pot...mainly because I missed the 3D midnight showing of "Star Wars I."
(Yes - I know...just say it, "NERD!")
But I went.
Without reading the books.
And I LOVED it.
(Now, some in the Christian circles are debating the movie itself.  I'm not here for that.  It's fiction people.  Get over it.)
I googled what happens in book 2 & 3.  (Told you , no time for reading.)
Besides the storyline, I was enthralled with the future of it.  The government.  The country.  What we had become.  I know it's all fiction, but you could see it possibly happening.  Maybe not the whole teenagers who fight to the death on tv, but the government telling you where and where you cannot go, what you can and cannot eat, what job you have, what you wear...  Get the point?
Sadly, I could see it happening.   And I love the end - sorta. 
It confirms that we can't rely on our government for everything.  We can't let them pay our bills, provide our food, even give us our healthcare.  (Wink, wink.)
If you haven't seen the movie, I would recommend it.  I wouldn't take kids, or probably even preteens.  The movie is kinda violent, but nothing that TBS would have to edit out.
Then do like me and google the next two books.


 Or buy your husband an iPad for his birthday and steal it for the first 2 days and actually read a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment