Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Held Hostage

First, I have some big news.  One of my dear friends, co-worker (and reader!) got to meet DAVE yesterday and scream her debt free scream on the radio!  I was 100% jealous but so proud of her.  She sent me a picture of her, her cutie family, & Dave. 



I was screaming with excitement from my house.  Adorable aren't they?  She's Hokie fan and saint of God.  (One and the same, right?  lol.)  I'm trying to get her to move here.  So, pardon me while I take a minute and throw a hint her way.

MOVE HERE!  I MISS YOU!

I'm going to meet that man one day - and not as fan but as a peer.  (I know, I dream big.)

Moving on...

Second, I have a story for you.  Totally unrelated to Dave - well, maybe kinda related to him.  Like 3rd cousin, twice removed related.

I don't believe I've ever told you guys about how I was held hostage.

Yes.  I, Sarah, was held hostage.

And I had to be rescued by the police.

Ok, ok.

I was held hostage by a car salesman and rescued by Mr. DDA.

Not nearly as salacious as it first sounded I know.

It was about 4 years ago.  I drove a car that was thisbig.  No that's not a typo.  It was tiny.  And I desperately wanted a Toyota 4Runner.  Lord have mercy, I loved those cars.

I would drive through car lots on a weekly basis.  Scour Craiglists, online sites, even ebay Auto.  I had lost my mind.

I was in NO position to buy a new vehicle.  The tiny car was only about a year and half old and about 6 feet under water.  I would have to roll over about $8000 into the new loan. 

This was 2007 BD.  (Before Dave.)

But, I went to the local lot anyhow.  On New Years Eve. 

(Side note:  If you ever have tons of cash lying around and are looking to make a deal, go on New Years Eve.  The dealers are dying to make their quotas for month end, year end, bonuses, etc.)

I took a 4Runner for a test drive and when I came back, my tiny Urkel car was gone.

The salesman said, "Oh - they had to move your car.  I'll go get it.  Sit right here in my office."

I was such an idiot.  Bells should have started going off...I know.  You never sit in a car salesman's office.

But instead of going to get my car, he began to talk about finance options.

What?

Where's my car, dude?  (Isn't that a movie?)

Finally after giving me some payment options - that were all over $600 a month.  (REEEE-diculous, I know.  Dave's eyeballs would pop out.)  I did ask, again, where my car was.

"Oh - were checking it over for trade in value."

Say what?  I just wanted to test drive the thing.

I tried playing the whole I can't do this without my husband thing.
I tried playing I'll go check my finances.
I tried I'm not 100% sure.
I even said my father had been rushed to the hospital and I had to leave.

Nothing worked.  He never returned with my keys.  I was there for 3 hours!!!!

That was the day I decided to NEVER walk in a car salesmans office unless I knew I was buying a car.  (Only took me 26 years to figure that one out.)

Finally, Mr. DDA rescued me.  Amazing how a man showing up in uniform suddenly ended the negotiations.  (I'm going to start keeping one in my trunk.  A uniform - not a man in uniform.)

I've yet to walk in a dealership with cash.  That's one of my goals. 

Probably will happen before I meet Dave though.

No comments:

Post a Comment