Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Christmas Day Scrooge

Our local radio station has started their non-stop, Christmas music.

At first, I was a little resentful.  (I know, Mrs. Claus herself.) It was 70 degrees yesterday.  Hardly put me in the Christmas spirit. 

But seeing my kids head-bopping to “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” has turned my mood around.  (I’m a Christmas junkie – doesn’t take much.  And it’s saved me from the 1,372th watching of Care Bears.)

Even though I have almost every classic Christmas movie on DVD, I still record them when they come on each year. There is something about the commercials I love.  I still remember the Wendy’s & Toys ‘R Us commercials from the tapes where my mom recorded Rudolph.

One of my absolute, favorite Christmas movies is “A Christmas Carol” with George C. Scott. 


It was my first movie purchase as a newlywed.  Growing up, I remember watching it over and over with my parents.  I loved it and was scared of it all - at the same time.

Of course, being a money-chick (actually I like to refer to myself as being money-chic.  Like that?  Thought so.) I kinda like Ebenezer.  Well, maybe I should say, I feel for him.  The man spends his whole life working for the almighty dollar – even giving up the love of his life, only to realize at the end of it, he’s got nothing to show for it.  Aka – the Christmas Eve Ebenezer.  And then, we all know the story, by Christmas Day, Ebenezer Scrooge is a whole new man.

A lot of people think that Ebenezer’s money is what ruined him.  I disagree.  It’s the love of money that ruins a person. You can be poor but love money and it will ruin you.  Having, or not, having money doesn’t ruin a person.  It’s where your heart is.

I enjoy having money – the little bit we have.  I enjoy being debt free.  And I know there have been times that the love of money has ruined me.  But I’ve tried to learn to learn from those mistakes and move on.  Don’t get me wrong.  We all know I enjoy a new pair of shoes, or bag, or concert tickets. But I think I enjoy more when we are able secretly giving someone some money and get to watch their joy from a distance.  Spontaneous giving is really what Dave Ramsey means when he says, “Give like no one else.”  

Money is just paper.  I once saw a quote from Prince Charles that said, “Money doesn’t mean that much when your mum’s picture is on it.”  I thought, yes, I guess that does put things in perspective.  Money can certainly make life easier and make things fun.  But the love of it can ruin a family, can ruin a soul. 

This time of year can be hard to stay on track with our Baby Steps and our penny pinching.  

But let’s not get so focused on the numbers.  

Let's try to look up from the checkbook, see the people around us and be the Christmas Day Ebenezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment