Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This Doesn't Happen to Me

So, I got so completely wrapped up in all the wonderful Thanksgiving festivities last week, I completely forgot to actually post on what I'm really thankful for.

A month or two ago, our preacher told a story about how even though his fairly new vehicle was out of warranty, the manufacturer stepped up and paid for his $5000 transmission.  I sat there...a little grumpy. 

That stuff doesn't happen to me.

Earlier in the year, I heard someone testify about how they never paid a single bill in college.  Just every month, someone paid their bill.  I sat there...a little grumpy.

That stuff doesn't happen to me.

Actually, that doesn't happen to most anyone I know.

When I was growing up, when my parents ran out of money, God provided a credit card application.  As a newlywed, when we needed money, my husband would get an overtime shift.

Money doesn't rain on me, or my family.  Never has.  Sure would be nice if it did.  We got where we are by hard work, sacrifice, and deprivation.

I was complaining about this fact to my sister the other day and she acknowledged it and changed the subject.  She told me about a lady she works with that never went into labor.  She was induced but it didn't do any good.  Finally, she was taken back for a c-section.  Turns out, the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck twice.  God's hand of protection on that baby and that family.

And that story reminded me of something that did happen to me.  Something greater than getting $5000 or getting my school bill taken care of.

Meet Hannah.

Or in our circles, Han-wah.  (My two year old can't quite pronounce her name.)

Hannah was a surprise.  A big one.  Scientifically, she shouldn't be here.  In fact, I cried for days over it.  I'm almost ashamed to say it.  I just couldn 't understand why I was having another baby - this would make 3 in three years - when there were other people desperate for babies.

I eventually got over my shock.  And the time came for little Hannah to arrive.  I had this in the bag.  I knew exactly how to prepare and what to do.  During labor, I was informed there was a prolasped cord.  This wasn't good.  Every contraction resulted in a lack of oxygen to the baby.  Even as I laid in the hospital bed, I could tell by the flurry of nurses & doctors that this was serious.  Deadly serious.  (No pun intended.)  I was scared.  I could see in Mr. DDA's face, he was scared.  (And he doesn't scare easily.)

Within minutes, and I mean minutes, I was rushed for an emergency c-section...with only an epidural.  (Yeah, not fun.)  Mr. DDA wasn't even allowed in the OR.  The anesthesioligist sat there and held my hand like we were life partners.  (When she came out, he told me she was perfect and beautiful.  I almost expected him to count her fingers & toes.)

Later, the doctor's told us that Hannah not only had a knot in her cord, but it was wrapped around her neck.  A natural birth would have likely killed our baby girl. 

I get so wrapped up sometimes in money, and finances, I forget the priceless things that God has given me.  Sometimes I need a reminder that just because I don't get anonymous checks in the mail, God provides more than I could ever ask for.

1 comment:

  1. So true! Thanks for sharing. I totally understand how you felt about the "surprise!" number 3.

    ReplyDelete