Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Christmas in July!

Happy Christmas in July!
We celebrated today by listening to Bing Crosby and watching Mickey's Christmas Carol. 
Isn't this one of the BEST Christmas movies?
One year, my most amazing mother put up a small tree and we bought each other gifts from the Dollar Store.  It was a Wednesday night and our house was on the same road as our church.  Everyone who went to church that night saw our Christmas tree in the front window and thought we were crazy.
But all the kids at church thought it was awesome...and it was.
QVC had their Christmas in July this past weekend.  And I hardly got to watch any of it.  (Yes, we've talked about this before.  I'm a closet QVC shopper.  Rarely buy anything but makeup & skincare, but I may or may not know all the hosts names by heart...and even follow some of them on Facebook.)
I did manage to squeeze in the Christmas in July edition of In the Kitchen with David.  Wasn't much different than the regular ITKWD, but it did get me wondering and fretting.
Christmas is 5 months away.  5 stinking months away.
Normally at this time, my Christmas account is fully funded. 
Um...not this year.  Thanks to Murphy setting up camp in our house since January...our savings account is officially at $0.  ZERO!!!
Every year, they come out with a survery that says how much each family will spend on Christmas.  It's usually around $800.  I don't know about you, but I usually spend twice that much.  By the time I do my extended family, supplies, pictures, tree (a live, 9 footer), plus Santa - yeah...it's crazy. 
And it's not the money that makes it Christmas.  I know that.  Santa probably only spends about $100 on each kid.  Compared to a lot of our friends, that's pretty paltry.  (Not that I ever compare...)
I'm breaking out in cold sweats just thinking about it.
I'm considering asking Mr. DDA to work overtime again.  (We nixed it after we became debt-free.  We don't have much family time as it is.  I wasn't giving anymore of it to drunken college students on game days.)
If we don't figure out something soon, I might end up getting a second job.

Preferably NOT at a shoe store...

I honestly don't know how we're going to do it.  But since I will NOT put Christmas on a credit card, the money is going to have to come from somewhere.

So if you're like me, and you realize that Christmas is only 5 months away and you have $0 saved for it...

Expect an update from me on every 25th of the month from here on.  We'll do this together.  One dollar at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment