Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Divergent

The other day someone asked me if I had written anything good on my blog lately…

No I haven’t…

I can’t seem to make a single, coherent thought lately.  Of course, it could be because Duffy is whining in my ear, which means that all things must cease until I finish my best soulful rendition of Warwick Avenue
 
And then I think about the British...and then their shoes...and I lose all sense of decorum. 






Back to the present.

My head is reeling.

(Like that?  I’ve been reading a lot lately and that’s a favorite phrase of the author.)

My sister convinced me to read Divergent. 

credit
It’s kinda like The Hunger Games – just without the Hunger Games.  But if you enjoyed THG, you’d enjoy Divergent.  And although I loved Katniss, I couldn’t relate to her.  I couldn’t shoot a bow & arrow if my life depended on it.  If I was left in the wilderness for days, I maybe could survive a week without eating something poisonous.

But in Divergent, I found me - the girl who couldn’t be pigeon-holed into one type of virtue.  Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). 

I’m part Erudite - I’m pretty good at sniffing out the ending of things.  Movies, books, surprise parties.  I think the only time in my life I’ve been shocked was when I got engaged.  (The first time; not the second time.  Wait.  You guys didn’t know I was engaged twice?  Yep.  Long story.  Both were to Mr. DDA though.  I’ll share more on another day.)

Sometimes, I wonder if my brain turns off when I sleep.  I’m always figuring something or someone out.  Maybe that’s why I always wake up tired. 

If I hadn’t detested police work so much, I probably would have made a decent investigator.  But I would’ve had to go to the Feds…I couldn’t stand the politics of a small town department.  (What chain of command???)  My husband has the patience of a saint.  I would’ve been fired…oh, about day 3.  Plus, the hats are hideous.

I’m part Dauntless - My tax law professor begged me to go to law school.  The fact that I can usually tell when someone is lying (just call me Emma) coupled with the fact that I’ll argue with a camel if I know I’m right.  (I’ve argued with other farm animals and Democrats.  AHEM.) 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I should be proud of this trait. 
 
I’m part Candor – I can be brutally honest.  I try be thoughtful and considerate, but I usually speak before I think.  But I'm working on it.

I’m a tiny little bit Amity – meaning if you catch me on a good day, in the morning, I’ll apologize for crimes I didn’t even know I’d committed...just try to keep the peace.  I kinda even see some Abnegation in that. 

(But actually, the author got that one wrong.  It’s called Southern.)

So, the next time someone calls me difficult.  I’m going to respond, “I’m not difficult.  I’m divergent.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment