Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Straw that Broke the Camel's Back

I heard an interesting statistic the other day...

75% of credit card debt is accumulated little by little.

I think most of us tend to think that credit card debt is accumulated in big chunks, but then again, how many of us never actually have that "medical emergency" that we keep the plastic laying around for.

Usually it's that Target run three days before payday...
Or the fact that Sesame Street Live is coming to town and we really don't have the money to go.
(But so-n-so is going and secretly, we still feel like we have to keep up with the so-n-so's.)
If credit cards are only for an emergency, then why do we carry them in our wallet?

How many times do we go to the mall and end up needing an appendage sown back on? :)
I realize that I'm preaching to the choir.

I've got a handful of credit cards that I haven't bothered to call and close.
GASP.

(Another "Don't Tell Dave.")

Why? I'm lazy.
I know my bad habits.
-A Starbucks run here,
-New shoes there,
-Baby formula - again
Then boom - in no time I'm staring at $700 on the credit card in a panic.

I hate that feeling.

So here's my accountability. By the end of the week, I will mail those letters to close those accounts.

I hate credit card debt and I never, ever want to owe a penny again.

In the meantime, I've got to think of a creative plastic-ectomy to record and post on here...

No comments:

Post a Comment