Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Don’t Tell Dave

I love Dave Ramsey.


Some have even accused me of having a crush on him.

I don’t, but he is a cutie for an older man. 

I am, however, totally jealous of him.  Not of his money, but of his job. 

He is what I want to be when I grow up.  (If I can’t be Judge Marilyn Milian.)

I want to help people with money.  How awesome would that be to do everyday? 

We used his FPU system to get out of debt.  And as a government shutdown looms, I am ever-so-thankful to be debt-free.

I also really like Suze Orman (personal lifestyle aside.)  And Gail Vaz-Oxlade, aka the Canadian Suze.  I know I’ve mentioned her before, but her TV show is pretty awesome.  Eye-opening how many people don’t have a budget….at all.

I understand the psychology behind Dave’s “Snowball” method, but we kinda developed a hybrid system from all of them that made sense to us.

The #1 thing they all agree on – pay off debt – as much, as fast, as you can!

Suze definitely says you should continue contributing to your retirement while paying off debt – especially f you’re lucky enough to have a company match – it’s free money!!!

Shhh…Don’t tell Dave…We contributed to our retirement while paying off our debt.

Gail says you should save for emergencies while paying down debt.  Especially if you have something like unpaid leave, a medical procedure, a large repair, that you know is coming your way.

Shhh…Don’t tell Dave… After we paid off my husband’s truck, we set aside $200/mo. while we were getting out of debt. 

Shhh…Don’t tell Dave…  We didn’t pay off our smallest debts first.  We paid off the biggest payments, but that was mainly because I knew an unpaid maternity leave was coming…quick!

So no, we didn't obey all the rules of FPU.

Chances are there is no perfect method that will work for your family either.

But utilizing the STRUCTURE that any of these methods provide, you will find a method that works to get you from negative point A to point B - which is somewhere in the black.

No matter what methods you use, remember: "Live like no one else now so you can live like no one else later." - Dave Ramsey

No comments:

Post a Comment