Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What Comes Next?

It's been almost one year since we've become debt free.  It's been a fun year no doubt, with I'm sure more fun to come.  Has it been exhilarating? 

No.

Shocked? 

Me too.

You think that once you become debt-free you'll have all this crazy money.  At least I did.  I pictured something like this:

credit

I thought we'd bathe in money.  Pay for everyone's dinner, take great vacations, dress our kids in the finest character clothing imported straight from the Magic Kingdom...

And yes, we do have more money.  But not crazy, stupid money. 

So my question to Dave Ramsey, Suze, Gail, Clark - all the financial DEBT FREE guru's out there is this, "What's next?"

Do I live on rice & beans till I save up my 6 month emergency fund?

Are we allowed to eat out?

How many pairs of shoes can I buy before it's just ridiculous?  (ha ha - notice I don't ask, "Can I buy shoes?")

Can I add to my grocery budget?

Because right now, our spending is (almost) the exact same it was before we were debt free.  Our grocery budget is the same.  Our dining out is the same.  Our gas budget is the same.  (Don't ask me how.) 

I still freak out when the "oil change" my van went in for, costs us $256 because this, this, and that were broke.  When can I not freak out?  (To be honest, I think 50% of the freak out reflex is just my personality.  We could be millionaires and I'd still freak out.)

No one tells you what comes next.  You've programmed your brain in this super tight mentality and it's hard to reprogram it. 

Maybe that'll be my niche.  I'll make my millions doing tv, radio, books & seminars on What Comes After Debt.  And Dave, Suze, Gail, or Clark - I'll let one of you write the forward to my book so you're not forgotten about when I surpass you in popularity. 

Maybe I'll even get my own app!

No comments:

Post a Comment