Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Measuring Up

Hi All!  This is Leah from Behind the Stone Wall.

I'm Sarah's sister and she asked me to post a little something for her today.

Lucky for her, I come prepared! 

I knew just what to post about.

This morning I got an email from Coach Factory Outlets.

The email description read "Bleecker Floral Totes, $199 + 30% off"

And immediately, I thought, "Wow, that's a great deal"

So I opened it and found this flyer by in my inbox....


And I'll admit, for a split second I was tempted.

A Coach purse for only $140....

And then I remembered the purse I got for Christmas.

You know, the one that I L-O-V-E, LUUUUUUUUUUUURVE.

The one that cost all of $40.

Immediately, I closed the email and deleted it.

As women we have temptations to spend thrown at us daily.

We see our friends carrying overpriced handbags and think, "If she can have one..."

We want bigger houses, nicer cars, prettier shoes and better skin than everyone around us.

Because that's what the media tells us we need.

And they market it to us as being "affordable", especially if we finance it over 3 years...or 5 years...or 30 years....

But lately, I have come to realize that as much as I want my shoes to be as nice as my girlfriends, and my cars to be as hybrid-y, there are things are just more important.

Things like being able to save for college.

And pay doctor bills.

And buy new tires for my car.

And diapers....

Things that I NEED.

More than things I want.

This is how I know I am old.

Because having a handbag as nice as my girlfriends' isn't as important as making sure my kid can go to a good school.

Or maybe it isn't old as much as it is responsibility.

Huh, who knew I had it in me?

Let's not tell anyone about this, K?

It could really ruin my reputation!

No comments:

Post a Comment