Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tribute to Kelly

This post isn’t about money, debt, taxes, or interest.  This post is a tribute to one of my best friends my family members, who was an amazing, faithful friend and will never be forgotten.

Our dog, Kelly, was a 10 year old German Shepherd who developed hip dysplasia last fall. 

We got her and her sister, Piper, when they were 3 years old.  They’re pure German Shepherd, but have chicken allergies and couldn’t be bred.  They’ve been part of our family for almost 7 years. 

She rapidly deteriorated over the winter to the point where she literally dragged her back end. 

You should know that I am an avid animal lover.  To me, they’re not just pets; they become part of my family.  This has led us to spending possibly hundreds of dollars on supplements, vitamins, and treatments desperately hoping for a miracle.

I tried to talk my husband into surgery, but was told, even by her breeder, that it would be a complete waste to spend a couple thousand dollars on a 10 year old dog that very well may have cancer.  (The vet found a cyst on her hip and a tumor in her ear.)

We had discussed when would be “the time” and had, long ago, decided that if she could no longer walk or was in obvious pain, we would not let her suffer.

Over the cold winter, I watched her condition worsen, but the day I’d been dreading came…on Friday.

My husband went to let the dogs out to use the bathroom and try as she might, Kelly just could not get up.  And he knew.  And she knew.  And I knew. 

I’ve decided there is no “right time” to lose a pet.  It’s always painful.  Needless to say, it’s been a hard couple days in our house. 

Growing up, we had pets run off, hit by cars, mysteriously disappear, but never did we have to choose.  And to be honest, I know in my brain, it was the right decision, but my heart says something else.  If I could pay money, I’d probably go back and undo it, knowing full well, it’s just prolonging the inevitable. 

I don’t know how long it will take me to get used to it.  I’ve never done this before, so I don’t know if you do get used it.  I keep reminding myself that there are people who are taking their child for chemo, or burying their soldier, and they would gladly trade places with me - saying goodbye to my furry girl.

Saturday was the day.

And after it was over, my son said, “Mommy, Kewwee [Kelly] went to live at Jesus’ house.  He’ll take care of her.”  I am so glad I have a God who will take care of the most monumental of all things, my eternal salvation, and what some may see as the most trivial, my Kelly. 


Love you, girl!  See you up there someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment