Monday, June 25, 2012

Meet the Matriarchs

I wrote a post similar to this over a year ago for my sister’s blog…Here is the new & improved version…

Meet my grandma. 

credit
Here she is, minus the crown. 


She’s pretty much the best Nanny ever. Hands down.   

When it comes to being fair, she’s a killer. 

She’s never missed a birthday party, shower, recital, play, etc. that one of her grandchildren or great-grandchildren have been in.  She sacrificed time, money, food (oh the food!)  She’d bring me a lunch to school when I forgot it. She traveled with us through some God-forsaken parts of West Virginia going to countless volleyball games and tournaments.

She is not her number one priority. Her family is, always has been, and always will be. 


And our family?  Pretty insanely awesome.  We have our dysfunctions, but still, on the Richter scale – we’re a 10.0.  We were once called a “clique” but actually, we’re just family. But we operate like no other family I know. Think of us like the mob – just without the organized crime and gravy. 

And it’s all thanks to her. 

All of us grandkids think we are Nanny’s favorite, although deep down, I know I am.  :-)

She’s practically perfect in every way. 
She taught my mom the principles of grace and class. She taught her how you should treat people and how you should expect to be treated.

You’ve met my mom before – but for you new readers… 

credit
Ok, so she doesn’t have flaming red hair and a serious NJ accent. 

anyone else see Morgan in this????
In 20 years, I’m pretty sure my mother’s biography will mirror my grandmother’s.  (Although she has a good dose of her daddy in her.) 

So far, she’s never missed a birthday party, shower, recital, play, etc. that one of her children or grandchildren have been in. (No recitals yet, thank the Lord.) 

I just don’t know if I could ask for a better mom. 

She is not her number one priority. Her family is, always has been, and always will be. 

Our house was always full of people. Kids she knew – lots she didn’t.  :-) I’d bring home girls, boys, didn’t matter. She fed them.  Even the poor guy who had the misfortune of being my first boyfriend. Some slept there if they needed a place to stay. Not counting us three, I’d say my parents had a hand in raising another 20-25 kids. 

I, naively, grew up thinking all grandma’s and mom’s were like this. Boy, was I wrong! 

We rarely “went out” in high school. The party was usually at our house.  But when we did, we had these 5 rules. 

1.  Don’t smoke.
2.  Don’t do drugs.
3.  Don’t drink.
4.  Don’t have sex.
5.  Don’t lick a toad.  (Apparently, people tried licking toads in the 70’s to get high. ???  I dunno.)

And somehow, she got me to follow them…all of them…without hating her. 

She taught me how to treat people. And I have to say, I did have enough of my daddy to not always follow her guidance. My poor cousin, Anna, bore the brunt of my dry wit. (And she’s still my friend!!!)  Mr. DDA almost didn’t ask me out because he didn’t know that behind my sarcasm was a huge crush. (After living in the south for 9 years, he has a good grasp on it!)

I’m almost 30 and still trying to learn what my grandma and mom seem to have such a firm handle on. You know Meg Ryan's character in “You’ve Got Mail”, Kathleen, when she zings Joe Fox (F – O – X) and then she has to feel bad for it? That’s me!  My sister calls it word vomit. 

I want to not feel bad for zinging someone who deserves a good zinging, but my mom and my grandma are to blame for the whole caring if I've hurt someone thing.

But since I can’t stop zinging people, and can’t stop feeling bad, and can’t keep apologizing all over myself every day, I’ve decided I’m going to take a vow of silence, shave my head, sell all my high heels, and become a nun. 

Right after trout season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment