Thursday, June 21, 2012

Their Highlight Reel

Yesterday, my dentist posted this quote on his Facebook page.  (Is it weird that I'm friends with my dentist on Facebook?)


I, sadly, have no clue who Mr. Furtick is.  I could Wikipedia him, but I'm too tired and it doesn't really help further my point.

This quote really hit home for me.  I'm a competitor.  It's in my blood.  Every sport I played, I played to win, not to become a better sport.

I haven't put any of my kids in sports for this very reason.  I'm not sure I could deal with them not playing or worse, playing and not winning.

I want to be great.  If I'm in the same place in 5 years, I'll consider it a failure.  I have to move up.  I have to get better.  I can't just be status quo.  Maybe some can, but not me.

I want my kids to be great.  I want them to get what they want.  I want them to be happy and yes, it's vain, but I want them to be well-liked.  I want other kids to want to be their friend. 

Mr. DDA already is great, but I want him to get whatever he wants in life.  If he doesn't, it makes me upset.  He gets passed over for a promotion, I get upset.  He gets disappointed by being left out, I get upset.

And it's super easy for me to get caught up in who has what, who's doing what, who's kids are doing what, who got what...

And now, with Facebook - it's easy to see everyone's highlight reel.  The perfect pictures of their life.  And we look around, at our messy house, with laundry spilling out in the floor, with our greasy hair and flabby stomach and think, "Their life is sooo much better than mine; I need to do xyz/buy xyz to be as good as they are."

And I do it.  And my house is still messy.  My laundry is still not folded.  My hair will not wash itself and my stomach will require surgery before it will ever see the light of day.  But I have a killer pair of shoes.

See?  I'm competive.  I don't know if it's just me or if we are all like this deep-down and the rest of you are just smart enough not to talk about it.  I'm not sure I'll ever get past this.  I think I'll always be competitive.  But maybe I can not act on it so much. 

It's probably a good think I never got into gambling...

No comments:

Post a Comment