Friday, June 1, 2012

On the Road Again

So, I'm writing this about 10 hours into our road trip. GPS says three more hours...but the kids are finally asleep.

We're going here.

Lest I remind you, it's my happiest place on earth. In my book, there is no better place...to relax, to forget.

After my dad was shot, this is where my parents came to try to learn how to be "normal" again.  (I briefly discussed that here.)

So far, so good...as far as money goes.

I have to tell you my genius moment.

As you know, we're going to a magical place for a couple days. Tickets for a family of 5 + babysitter = $$$

Well, our local grocery store, Kroger, has a points program.  You get a point for every dollar you spend in their store. Every 100 points equals $.10/gal. of gas.

Even better, right now you get quadruple points on gift card purchases.

This morning, I went to Kroger and bought enough gift cards to buy our tickets. I was so proud of myself even as the cashier stared at me in disbelief as I handed her 20 gift cards.

Mr. DDA filled his circa WWII tank with gas for a whopping $27.  I almost cried. (He doesn't really drive a tank, but I feel like that when I'm behind the wheel. )  And we still have $2/gal. credit when we get home.

Something to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment